Halifax Public Garden Ornament
The Bandstand was erected in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, it sits in the center of Halifax's Public Gardens and hosts a variety of entertainers throughout the warm months.
Halifax's Public Gardens had its origins in 1836 when the Nova Scotia Horticultural Society set out to create a Victorian garden that would be "accessible to all classes" and a place where they could get away from city life and find a source of "health and cheerfulness". The main gates of this place are located at the corner of Spring Garden Road and South Park Street. These gates open to many other sites than the plant life and the bandstand - the gardens also host The Jubilee (Nymph) Fountain, The Boer War Memorial Fountain, 3 statues; Ceres, Diana and Flora and finally Griffin Pond. The City of Halifax purchased the Public Gardens in 1874 and has maintained them as a getaway within the city limits ever since.